Shiloh Church is located in an oak grove about one mile north of Troy. At an earlier time, Shiloh was a log building near a spring which was a short distance south of the present building. Records giving the dates of the organization of the first Shiloh congregation and of the first building have been lost, but history handed down by word of mouth indicates that the log building must have been taken apart and moved to the present site around 1836.
Furnished with backless benches and heated by a fireplace, the log building served the congregation until about 1883 when the present frame building was begun. The log building was sometimes used as a school until a frame building called Shiloh School was built across the road from the church.
In the past, older Shiloh members told stories of the singing, shouting, praying, and of camp meetings which were considered an important part of church life.
The church was closed in 1928 as an active part of the North Carolina Methodist Conference. Although most of the members joined other congregations in and around Troy during the next several years, they never forgot the old place.
A Shiloh Reunion Association was organized in an effort to care for the property, keep the former members and school alumni in touch with each other, and to keep alive the memory of Shiloh. The first reunion was held in 1939.
In 1967, the North Carolina United Methodist Conference transferred the ownership of the Shiloh property to the Shiloh Memorial Association Trustees.
There is a cemetery for the Shiloh families. Graves date from 1880 to present, with several unmarked graves from the Civil War.
Today, Shiloh, a place spoken of as a sacred place, a place set apart, and a place kept plain, natural, and simple, seems to live up to the meaning of its name "place where God dwells."